Thursday, May 25, 2017

My Neighbor



And Who, is my neighbor?  (Luke 10:29)

Dave was my neighbor.  I met him some years back because he decided to be neighborly and take out everyone’s trash on Fridays for the houses adjacent to his.  I thanked him many times and told him he didn’t have to do it, but he did it with honor and dignity every week.  He took pride in being a good neighbor.  I remember asking him his name, “Dave” and telling him my name, “Cathy.”

I started giving him a Christmas present every year to thank him for his humble work, but even that waned off after some years. 

Dave was present in our neighborhood.  He was a fixture to our neighborhood.  You could often see him sitting outside and saying hello to those passing by.  He would sit on the steps or in the chair resting and catching sun.  Often when he saw me he would cross the street to tell me some headline news of the area. 

He talked to me about his mom passing away and his sister he would visit nearby.  He had a contagious laugh and would light up when talking about something he found funny.

He was difficult to understand.  He had some sort of developmental disability that effected his speech and his gait, from what I could tell.

He recently told me he turned 70 something. He didn’t look more that 60.  He was a beloved neighbor and community member. He lived in a group home across the street.  We have seen another die in that home, but it was difficult to find out Dave was the one to die this past week.

Dave had a lot to teach us about being a good neighbor.  He was friendly, humble, and self-less in serving us for many years, doing something nobody else wanted to do, and yet he did with pride and with a smile on his face.

You always wonder when someone dies, “Could I have done more?” “Could I have said more?” 
“Could I have been a better friend?”  I remember once inviting him to church, but he declined.  I remember once getting an impulse to help him take out everyone’s garbage that day, but I declined. 

Who was a better neighbor?  Dave, by far.  Thanks Dave for showing me how.  I honor your memory, today.  You will be missed.  You hold a special place in our hearts. I'm glad to have met you and happy that you were my neighbor for eight years.

No comments:

Post a Comment