Thursday, February 9, 2017

As the Deer..



As the deer pants for streams of water,
    so my soul pants for you, my God. Psalm 42:1

My older sister was in the Peace Corps in Tanzania, Africa for 2 and ½ years.  I got to spend a summer there with her once.  When she returned from Africa, she brought back a guitar that a Sister from the Catholic School she worked at taught her how to play.  My older sister taught both my younger sister and I how to play it.  She is and always will be a great teacher.

It was a dark time in my life when I learned to play the guitar.  I had graduated from college, and felt disconnected from the friendships and community life I had there.  I was jobless, and unsure of what to do.  So I played that guitar with my sisters and worshiped God!

“As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul longs for you.  You alone are my heart’s desire and I long to worship you.” 

There was something about that song that always touched my heart; the thirsting, the longing, the desiring, the worshiping… 

“I love you more than Gold or Silver, only you can satisfy.  You alone are the real Joy giver, and the apple of my eye.”

Just reading those words makes me sigh…

It’s God alone that is the real Joy giver, only He can satisfy…  That’s why we come empty and unsatisfied in Holy Longing, so the one who fills our cup and satisfies our needs can do the job that only He can do!

Let's offer up our hunger and thirst to God first!

No comments:

Post a Comment