Friday, July 7, 2017

Splendor



But I trust in your unfailing love;
    my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing the Lord’s praise,
    for he has been good to me. Psalm 13:5-6

When Peter is reinstated by the Lord after his denial, the Lord asks him three times, “Peter, Do you love me?” John 21:15-19

I think the question, “Do you love me?”  could be interchangeable with the question, “Do you trust me?”  I think many followers of Jesus would respond positively when asked if they loved the Lord.  But what if they were asked, “Do you trust him?”  I wonder if the response would be so favorable.

Trust is a difficult pill to take; especially when we consider the uncertainty of our future and we are called to step out into the unknown.  Trust is difficult when we have known failure and heartache.  But through it all, the question remains does God have our best interest at heart?

There are people all around us that can trigger painful memories, but can God turn those painful memories around for us in that they become healing agents for others, and become a launching pad to more trust in a Faithful God?

Someone once said, “Fear is the greatest enemy to faith.”  I would add, “Lack of Trust is, too.”

I don’t know which question will hold more weight in Glory, “Did you love me?  or Did you trust me?”  I think Love and Trust are divinely interrelated.

Brennan Manning, Author of “The Ragamuffin Gospel” once said, “How glorious the splendor of a human heart that trusts that it is loved!”





No comments:

Post a Comment