Thursday, July 14, 2016

Breaking Bread on the Road


I was sitting in church, on the 3rd floor and looking out at the public garden when a man walked by on crutches.  He looked very poor and had two small bags with him.  He was digging in the trash, and soon after I realized he was looking for food.  He quickly finds some food and throws away the wrapper.  Immediately, I thought, “Oh gosh, he’s gonna eat that.”  Then he walks over to where some birds are and breaks the bread and feeds the birds.

I was stunned; such a beautiful and generous image of the poor feeding the poor.

Now, as I reflect on this story, I think of Jesus and how on the road to Emmaus he broke bread with the disciples and in the breaking of the bread their eyes were open to see who he was.

Jesus still breaks bread on the road with men and women and we may not have eyes to recognize him in them.


Jesus, open our eyes to see you as we travel on the road and meet the poor, that we might see with our eyes, hear with our ears, understand with our hearts and turn and you would heal us. (Matthew 13:15)

No comments:

Post a Comment